We all know that finding a good foundation can be difficult, with so many brands and different kinds of foundations on the market, it can get a little confusing. In this post I will explain the different types of foundations and what you can expect out of those and how to choose the best foundation for you.
First you must ask yourself:
- Do I have oily, dry, or combination skin?
- Am I looking for a matte or dewy finish?
- Do I need a full coverage foundation or something a little bit more natural/sheer?
- Do I have young/mature skin?
- Is my skin sensitive to cosmetic products?
- Do I prefer powder/cream/liquid foundation?
- Do I have an olive or red undertone?
These are all factors that you must consider when choosing a foundation for yourself.
Now I will explain to you the different types of foundations and the benefits of each.
- Tinted Moisturizer: For those that prefer a thinner, more natural foundation. It combines moisturizer with pigments to create the perfect foundation for those with dry skin that also want a hint of coverage. Perfect for on the go, everyday life because instead of applying moisturizer, then foundation, you can apply both in one easy step.
Try: bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream, Chanel Les Beiges All-In-One Healthy Glow Fluid, NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, Aveeno Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer
2. Powder Foundation: Ideal for oily skin. Powder can be used on top of a liquid foundation for added coverage or on its own for a sheer coverage that looks natural. It can come in a loose or pressed form and is easy to apply.
Try: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup, Laura Mercier Foundation Powder, bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15, NYX Cosmetics Stay Matte Powder Foundation
3. Liquid Foundation: A liquid consistency that can range from light-medium-full coverage. Most liquid foundations are build-able and can have increased coverage according to the amount applied. There are liquid foundations for oily, dry, and combination skin types.
For oily skin try: Too Faced Born This Way Foundation, L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundaiton, Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation, Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup
For dry skin try: Tarte Maracuja Miracle Foundation, YSL Le Taint Touche Eclat Foundation, NARS Sheer Glow Foundation, Laura Mercier Moisture Supreme Foundation, Covergirl and Olay Tone Rehab Foundation
4. Cream Foundation: For those looking for a full coverage effect, cream foundation can be a great choice. Because of it's creamy, thick consistency I would not recommend a cream foundation for those of you with oily skin, unless the product is labeled as specifically for oily skin. It can come in a stick, compact, or gel pot form.
Try: Bobbi Brown Skin Moisture Compact Foundation, COVER FX Total Cover Cream Foundation, MAKE UP FOREVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation, Revlon ColorStay Whipped Cream Makeup
Some great foundations for mature skin include: Chanel Perfection Lumiere Foundation, Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv Intensive Lifting Makeup, Lancome Renergie Lift Makeup Foundation, Iman Second to None Liquid Foundation
If you have sensitive skin try brands like bareMinerals, Clinique, Josie Maran, Physician's Formula, COVER FX, Almay, or look for foundations that are non-comedogenic. Some ingredients to avoid are parabens, polyethylene, and talc.
When selecting a foundation color: Do you have light, medium, or dark skin? Choose a few shades that are most similar to your base then ask yourself if you have an olive or red undertone. You can usually tell by looking at your skin if you are olive or ruddy if you can see pink or golden tones. Then narrow down your selections to those with your same undertone. If there is more than one shade, apply a small amount to your forearm and see which color matches most closely.
Now you're ready to find your perfect base! If you are unsure about a product, do some research on the brand and read multiple reviews about the product on different sites so that you can get a better feel for it.